Follow us on Twitter
Download the archived show
Subscribe to the Feeds
AUSTIN NEWS & VIEWS
October 24, 2011
Hosted by Thom White & SMiles Lewis
with Guest Mack White
Airport Scanners and Checkpoints to Travel
Texans for Accountable Government, with the sponsorship of Councilwoman Laura Morrison, has secured the City Council Chamber for a community forum to discuss the concerns Austinites have with the Advanced Imaging Technology being installed at ABIA.
Panel includes Dr. Laura Pressley (chemist), Norman Horn (chemical engineer), and George Farris (Airport Advisory Commissioner). More panelists to be announced.
Rally for Safe and Effective Airport Secuity – City Hall Plaza, 6:30pm
Community Forum, including expert panel – City Hall Chamber, 7:30pm
- L3 Communications Under Scrutiny for Ineffective Scanners
- L3 spent $5 MILLION on lobbyists last year
- DHS Lies About NIST Testing Scanners
- NIST Responds
- Tennessee Becomes First State To Fight Terrorism Statewide (Video)
“TSA begins random ROAD inspections in Tennessee…”
- TSA’s VIPR Program – motherjones.com
- Airport body scanners useless: German police (AFP) – Jul 30, 2011
- U.S. Airport Full Body Scanners Too Unreliable to Use, Germany Says (Video)
- Cain’s new 9-0-9 plan would still raise taxes on the poor, analysts say
- Conservative journalist says he infiltrated, escalated D.C. museum protest
- Credit union: Don’t have to ‘Occupy’ to send a message (Video)
- Occupy Austin gains following with local labor unions (Video)
- Cornel West arrested as OWS spreads to Harlem (Videos)
A campaign against arbitrary searches by the NYPD gets a boost from Occupy Wall Street
- Semper Fi: Occupy Marines Bringing Reinforcements To Occupy The Nation
October 22, 2011 / By Stephen D. Foster Jr.
- Olbermann’s interview with Sgt. Thomas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_dZez-OTw / www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmEHcOc0Sys
- Sgt Shamar Thomas USMC
“Sgt. Shamar Thomas USMC Veteran. I took an Oath that I live by.I am NOT anti-NYPD. I am anti- Police Brutality. I am no longer under contract with the USMC so I do NOT have to follow military uniform regulations. I DON’T affiliate myself with ANY GROUPS or POLITICAL ORG. I affiliate myself with the AMERICAN PEOPLE that’s it. I REFUSE to affiliate with anything that SEPERATES. There is an obvious problem in the country and PEACEFUL PEOPLE should be allowed to PROTEST without Brutality. I was involved in a RIOT in Rutbah, Iraq 2004 and we did NOT treat the Iraqi citizens like they are treating the unarmed civilians in our OWN Country. No one was brutalized because our mission was to “WIN the hearts and minds”, why should I expect anything less in my OWN Country.”
- Auctioneer: Stop All The Sales Right Now!
Community Members block auctions in Brooklyn court; 9 activists arrested.
Date: October 13, 2011
“Calling on the judicial system to institute an immediate moratorium on all foreclosures until a fair system of home loans is put into place, a group of New York City housing justice advocates disrupted the auction of several foreclosed Brooklyn properties in Civil Court on Thursday afternoon through music and song. The group, called Organizing for Occupation (O4O), was protesting what it views as a system designed to benefit financial lending institutions at the expense of homeowners and low-income communities. Although the New York judiciary instituted mandatory pre-foreclosure settlement conferences in 2009, O4O claims that these conferences do nothing to protect the rights of homeowners to remain in their homes. “No lender, be it Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citibank or Chase, has any intention of settling by means other than a foreclosure auction or another predatory modification,” says Karen Gargamelli, a housing attorney and spokesperson for O4O. “These auctions displace our neighbors and destabilize our neighborhoods. We need a stronger system for dealing with foreclosures, one that holds banks accountable for making bad loans and then speculating on them as ‘securitized instruments’.” And until the Legislature passes more protective laws, O4O is calling on the courts to hold all foreclosure auctions, and encouraging New Yorkers to raise their own voices in the courts to stall these auctions through concerted direct action such as Thursday’s disruption.”
Produced by O4O and www.HousingIsAHumanRight.org
- Construction Starts on Unmanned Border Crossing Between Texas and Mexico
Earthquakes in South Texas
- Could fracking be at fault for the rare South Texas earthquake? (Video)
- Earthquake In South Texas: Fracking Fluid at Fault?
By Nathan Bernier, KUT News
- Rare 4.6-magnitude Earthquake Hits South Texas
Keeping Texas Weird
- Foreign Nationals Charged In Courthouse Break-In – San Antonio
Check out the original source here
Austin News and Views